Health Services

Health Information

Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten Immunization Requirements:

Children entering transitional kindergarten or kindergarten must have the following immunizations:

  • 5 doses of DTaP (4 doses meet requirement if at least one was given on or after the 4th birthday) (Diphtheria, Tetanus & Pertussis)
  • 4 doses of Polio (3 doses meet requirement if at least one was given on or after the 4th birthday) (OPV or IPV)
  • 3 doses of Hepatitis B
  • 2 doses of MMR -1st dose on or after 1st birthday (Measles, Mumps & Rubella)
  • 1  dose of Varicella (Chicken Pox)

Exemption from Required Immunizations: New Law goes into effect January 1st, 2016

Senate Bill 277 - Immunization Exemptions

Governor Brown signed Senate Bill (SB) 277 on June 30, 2015.

Effective January 2016, SB 277 will:

No longer permit immunization exemptions based on personal beliefs for children in childcare and public and private schools. Medical exemptions will still be valid.

It does permit personal belief exemptions submitted before January 1st, 2016 to remain valid until a pupil reaches kindergarten or 7th grade.

This new law applies to both private and public schools. 

The new immunization requirements do not apply to students in home–based private schools or students who are enrolled in an independent study program who do not receive classroom-based instruction. 

The language of SB 277 is available at:

The Governor’s signing message is available at:

 Immunization laws currently in effect may be found at

7th Grade Requirement : "Tdap" Immunization Booster

All students entering, advancing or transferring into 7th grade will need proof of an adolescent whooping cough booster immunization (called "Tdap") for school in the fall. Your student will not be able to receive their class schedule without documented proof of Tdap

This school immunization law affects all students in public and private schools.

Pertussis is a very contagious respiratory disease that can be severe and last for months. The immunity received from early childhood immunization for Pertussis disease wears off over time, leaving older students and adults susceptible again to Pertussis. Immunization with Tdap can protect students, schools and communities against Pertussis. Click here for current  7th grade immunization requirements.

on file at school, 
he/she will need one completed up to 18 months prior to entry into first grade
or within 90 days of entry into first grade.
You can download the CHDP exam form from the Health Services > Documents Uploads page 
or pick one up at the school office.

If your child has had the physical examination,please have your physician or clinic representative complete the CHDP exam form and bring it to the school office. 

Please return the Report of Health Examination for School Entry to the school as soon as possible.
It must be completed and signed by your physician or clinic representative.

CHDP works with schools to meet the requirement of having a completed health assessment 18 months before or up to 90 days after enrolling in first grade.  The CHDP program assists families to meet the requirement by linking families with CHDP providers to obtain health assessments. 
 The certificate “Report of Health Examination for School Entry” is available through the local CHDP program, schools, and provider offices.
 Frequently asked questions about First Grade Health Examination Requirements and Procedures for provider and school personnel can be found in the CHDP School Handbook.




A new medication consent form signed by a Parent and Medical Physician/Nurse Practitioner/Physicians Assistant is required each school year for each medication, even if your student carries his/her medication with him/her. You can obtain the Medication Form in the Health Services Section on the left side of the page.  Go to Document Uploads, then to Health Forms.

In order to prevent medication errors and ensure the safety of all students, please observe the following:

A licensed Medical Physician/Nurse Practitioner/Physicians Assistant must prescribe medication dispensed to students at school.

Medication must be received at school in the original container as dispensed by an authorized pharmacy.  Medication may not be transferred from a stock bottle at home to a “school” bottle.

All medication containers, including preparations available over-the-counter, must be prescription labeled by an authorized pharmacy with instructions consistent with those indicated on the medication consent form.  All empty medication containers will be discarded unless other instructions are received by a parent/guardian.

In special circumstances deemed necessary by a licensed Medical Physician/Nurse Practitioner/Physicians Assistant, students may carry medication, such as an inhaler or an Epi-Pen, at school.  Prior authorization must be obtained through the school office following the school district medication policy.  This is the only situation in which students are allowed to carry medication at or to school.  In all other situations, an adult must transport medication to and from the school office.  This applies to prescription and over-the-counter preparations.

An adult must report changes in medication regimes, including discontinuation, promptly to the school office.
Medication Administration Guidelines from The California Department of Education:

  1. Talk to your child’s doctor about making a medicine schedule so that your child does not have to take medicine while at school.

  2. If your child is regularly taking medicine for an ongoing health problem, even if he or she only takes the medicine at home, give a written note to the school nurse or other designated school employee at the beginning of each school year. You must list the medicine being taken, the current amount taken, and the name of the doctor who prescribed it (Education [EC] Code Section 49480). 

  3. If your child must take medicine while at school, give the school a written note from you and a written note from your child’s doctor or other health care provider, who is licensed to practice in California. Provide new, updated notes at the beginning of each school year and whenever there is any change in the medicine, instructions, or doctor (EC Section 49423). 

  4. As parent or guardian, you must supply the school with all medicine your child must take during the school day. You or another adult must deliver the medicine to school, except medicine your child is authorized to carry and take by him or herself. 

  5. All controlled medicine, like Ritalin, must be counted and recorded on a medicine log when delivered to the school. You or another adult who delivered the medicine should verify the count by signing the log. 

  6. Each medicine your child must be given at school must be in a separate container labeled by a pharmacist licensed in the United States. The container must list your child’s name, doctor’s name, name of the medicine, and instructions for when to take the medicine and how much to take.

  7. Pick up all discontinued, outdated, and/or unused medicine before the end of the school year. 


Covered California Website:

ALL IN - Healthcare for All Families:


Michelle Romine, RN  District Nurse Administrator
Orcutt Union School District
500 Dyer Street
Orcutt, CA 93455
(805) 938-8932

Where a dedicated staff means kids come first!